Canada Travel Laws and Documentation Requirements

Canada Travel Laws and Documentation Requirements | Evelyn Ackah | Immigration Lawyer

Effective March 2016, the Government of Canada travel laws (IRCC) require anyone traveling through Canada must apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly or transit through a Canadian airport; which costs $7 CAD. According to IRCC, most people need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization to travel to Canada; some may only need a valid passport. Recent changes to Canada’s international travel laws have caused confusion for visitors to Canada as well as travelers with connecting flights in Canada, but do not intend to visit Canada.

Canadian dual nationals must travel with a valid Canadian passport. If their plane leaves within 10 days, they must apply for a special eTA to travel with their passport from a visa-exempt country.

Do You Need an eTA for Travel To or Through Canada?

Find out if you need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization to travel to Canada. Some people may only need their valid passport. The IRCC website has an online tool to help you determine what travel documents you need to travel to or through Canada.

Are you traveling to Canada for business? We Can Help

Evelyn Ackah, founder and managing lawyer at Ackah Business Immigration Law, is at the forefront of legal and policy immigration developments to ensure her clients are fully compliant with the latest regulatory and policy changes, and that they understand the nuances and impacts of these changes to their business and their people.

Contact Ackah Business Immigration Law
(403) 452-9515 Ext. 107 or 1-800-932-1190 or 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *