Air Canada and WestJet have issued alerts to their customers about the new airport security regulations implemented July 19 by US Homeland Security, and are advising passengers traveling to the United States to arrive at airports at least two hours prior to scheduled departures.
Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah flew from Calgary to Florida after the implementation of the new security measures and she noticed increased security and longer lines. She suggests everyone who qualifies apply for a Nexus card to reduce airport security delays.
Security changes for travel to the US include:
- Enhanced overall passenger screening
- All electronic devices larger than a smartphone will have to be removed from protective casing
- Devices must be fully charged for potential inspection
- Expanded canine screening
- Increasing security protocols around aircraft and in passenger areas
To learn more: Why Flying to the US May Take Even Longer
We Can Help
Evelyn Ackah is an immigration law expert who can review your particular case, and help you determine the best course of action. As the founder and managing lawyer at Ackah Business Immigration Law, Evelyn Ackah helps you understand your rights and interpret and navigate Canadian immigration law. To find out more about how to apply for Canadian citizenship and how to move to Canada: